Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 1997 12:59:33 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make world

> On Apr 04, 1997 at 05:06:56PM, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > You know, there are several things installed by a make world that I
> > *really* wish I could condition out via a make veriable:
> >
> > perl	:	I want to maintain my version at 5.003, not 4.036
> > groff	:	I want groff install to stop overwriting the
> > 		/usr/share/groff_font/devlp/download file, so all
> > 		those neat fonts I bought from WC stay installed.
> > tcl	:	I want my version at 8.0a3, not the _old_ 7.5
> >
> > There are others, probably, but these come immediately to mind.
>
> Don't forget sendmail. :)

We also have a rather ederly xntp in the FreeBSD distirbution.  The newer
one has my fixed to use kernel-based timestamps (which I did on FreeBSD,
and is in our kernel now).  As far as I know, FreeBSD is unique in this
capability, but our xntp doesn't know how to use it.  The newer versions
just compile out-of-the-box on FreeBSD, so I don't know how hard it is to
update the one in our tree.

I've had very mixed results getting stuff merged into the tree - the
Brooktree 848 changes I've done got merged because someone with commit
privs was also actively involved in the process.  The socket-timestamp
kernel code got in.  But after two attempts to get simple changes to
/usr/sbin/moused in (which would keep my mouse working when doing
'make world', sigh) and a one-liner to
/usr/src/sbin/mount/getmntopts.c to fix a bug introduced recently
introduced that breaks cfs, I dunno what to think.

louie