Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:26:32 +0200
From:      Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
To:        Dirk Gouders <gouders@et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 3.3.6 and ATI Rage 128

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 00:16:54 +0200, Dirk Gouders wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just solved some problem on my FreeBSD 4.0 machine and want to tell
> you about it, in case someone else has problems running XFree86 with a
> ATI Rage 128 video card (and I know there were such people).
>
> The problem was that there was a bug in the r128_accel driver that
> caused bar code like stuff to appear instead of readable text.
>
> (I tried to use XFree86 4.0 instead, but then after switching to a
>  text console and back to the console running X I couldn't see
>  anything at all.)
>
> What I then did was to get the full XFree86 3.3.6 source code and the
> patch for the r128_accel driver, applied the patch as discribed in the
> diff-file and ran make World without any modification of even one
> configuration file.  After that everything turned out to work fine!

Which patch do you mean? The fix-01-r128 is part of the current port.
Although it is part, I still have some problems with XFree86 3.3.6.

Which card do you have, and how many MBs are on it?

--
Udo Schweigert, Siemens AG   | Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
ZT IK 3, Siemens CERT        | Fax        : +49 89 636 41166