Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 1997 22:09:11 -0800
From:      Mark Smith <msmith@3-cities.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: DAT question/problem!

J Wunsch wrote:

> As Mark Smith wrote:
>
> >   OK, I then do a write(mt,buff,size) in a loop to
> > write the block pattern out. I then receive a write=-1 and
> > errno = 5 (Input Output error).  Is this how it should be??
>
> It's not, but it's the way it is.  It breaks the common unix
> semantics, for EOF in read/write, and in particular dump -a.  I've got
> an open PR for it.
>
> Alas, it's not very simple to fix (otherwise i wouldn't have filed a
> PR but fixed it myself), since there's a bunch of delayed error
> reporting etc.

OK, so in the meantime, just write until I hit EIO, keeping track
of the number of written blocks, then rewind and reread the same
number SHOULD work?

This is REAL fun testing this kind of code on a 90m tape on an
older DDS-1 10M/min drive! <G>  200 minutes (3 hours 20 min) write
then the same for a read.

Mark