Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:08:39 +0800
From:      "aLan Tait" <aLan@fil.net>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Chat Only???

Kevin Day wrote:
> least ports 6659-6670. Also make sure that ircd can connect back to their
> identd port.

"identd port" - Is that port 113 or 194 - or both?

> This will prevent irc/icq users from transferring files between each other
> though, since the clients negotiate random port numbers.

"Random" -  How random?  This might be acceptable...

"Negotiate" - Does it look till it finds one it can use, or
just says, "use this random port" and if it fails, it
fails...

The "Chat Only" service is a matter of allowing a "cheap"
service that will get people interested enough to buy the
hardware (modem) so they can later expand to full Internet
access.  Also, there is a demand, and we are to small to not
pay attention. (i.e. we need the money!)

> You know this really won't stop someone from using other services as well. I
> could bind a socks proxy or PPP over TCP link to a port in that range, and
> do whatever I wanted. :)

Well yea, except our customers have a hard time configuring
dial-up networking in Win98 when our portmaster will accept
all default settings!  The idea is that a novice would have
a hard time using it...  Our ISP is located where everyone
is a novice - even me! :)

aLan