Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:55:32 +0000
From:      Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hard disk errors

In article <15476.2903.219792.310210@guru.mired.org>, Mike Meyer <mwm-
dated-1014670039.417d3e@mired.org> writes
>> What should I be doing? I have backups, but this is our cvs server and
>> messing around is not desirable. Does the boss need to splash out on a
>> whole new machine?
>
>Most likely, the drive is about to die, and the boss needs to splash
>out for a new drive. it might be the cable or motherboard, but it's
>unlikely to be one of those unless you've been mucking around inside
>the machine recently.

that's what I figured. When I was a lot younger there was something
called bad-blocking drives, but it seems that is hard to do with modern
eide drives. There seems to be some suggestion that manufacturer low
level formatting of the drive might help, but that'd be way too late for
our data anyhow.
--
Robin Becker