Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:40:09 GMT
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        freebsd-sysinstall@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/164097: bsdinstall(8): always installs GPT

The following reply was made to PR bin/164097; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To: <bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>, <ariane@stack.nl>
Cc: Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:32:57 -0800

 I am experiencing the same problem ... with sysinstall(8)!!!

 I used /usr/src/release/Makefile.sysinstall to cut myself a legacy installe=
 r for the 9.0 branch ... a sysinstall(8) installer versus the new bsdinstal=
 l installer cut from /usr/src/release/Makefile.

 When all was said and done (sysinstall crunched into boot_crunch using /usr=
 /src/release/i386/boot_crunch.conf), sysinstall(8) is for some reason writi=
 ng GPT labels even though it never has done so before.

 I'll go into sysinstall's disk partition editor, lay down a legacy filesyst=
 em, write it out, and then look at /dev to find that it didn't create /dev/=
 ada0s* but instead /dev/ada0p* (what's worse is that gpart subsequently sho=
 ws GPT but with "[CORRUPT]" next to it).

 This is completely hampering my ability to use sysinstall(8) as-built from =
 RELENG_9 to install RELENG_9.

 I'm left wondering if something changed in devfs or in libdisk.
 --=20
 Devin

 The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
 l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
 d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
 nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
  that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
 w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.