Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:25:01 +0100
From:      "Markie" <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        "Gunnarsson, Mikael" <Mikael.Gunnarsson@octapharma.se>, <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/100 CardBus II

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gunnarsson, Mikael" <Mikael.Gunnarsson@octapharma.se>
To: "Markie" <mark.cullen@dsl.pipex.com>; <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 1:05 PM

>> I don't really know anything about laptops at all, how would
>> I tell if I
>> have room for a TypeIII card? I was thinking about getting a
>> wireless card
>> aswell, it might be kinda handy to have them both plugged in
>> at the same
>> time if I can. I am guessing I won't be able to do that anyway though?
>
>If your laptop has two pccard slots on top of eachother, you can fit a
TypeIII card. A TypeIII card takes up both >slots though.

Ooh! I see, yes it has two slots on top of each other :o)

>Xircom 'solved' the problem with the Realport2 cards, since it will take
both slots in height, but only a half slot in >width, so you can fit
another Realport2 card, flipped upside-down, as well. Of course, you then
limit yourself to only >using another realport2 in the second slot. I'm not
sure if there is a wlan realport2 card though. There is a bluetooth >card,
but I haven't seen a wlan one.

Well now that does sound weird! Seems like I will have to be sticking to
the single slot normal card things if I am wanting to have a wireless card
too. Is there any special things I should consider when having two cards in
at once or will it be ok?

>The advantage of the realport cards are of course that you get a real RJ45
connector built into the card, so you don't >have to use a fragile dongle
or xjack..

The cards I am looking at are also 32 bit (the dongle ones). I was just
wondering if I will get any kind of major performance loss using 16 bit
cards. I can only find a Realport1? card (just says realport) and they're
16 bit... and so is this FA410 card if I was to get a dongle for it
instead.

Again, thank you :o)

>Mikael
>This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity >to whom they are addressed.
This >message contains confidential information and is intended only for
the individual named. If you are not the named >addressee you should not