Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:34:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Zdenko Tomasic <zdenko@CS.UH.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sym: scsi parity errors for cdrom

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Zdenko Tomasic wrote:

> It was suggested I redirect my inquiry from -stable to -scsi, so there
> it is:
>=20
> I see unrecovered SCSI parity errors under both 3.4- and 4.0 FBSD.
> I checked cables, connectors and termination and all seem to be okay.
> There are other devices on this scsi bus but only cdrom shows errors.
> It looks like my UltraPlex PX 32CS is at fault. Audio works fine (even
> while scsi errors abound). Can anyone interpret the following
> errors codes from sym driver?
> tnx.
>=20
> Jul  8 20:21:27 localhost /kernel: sym0: SCSI parity error detected:
> SCR1=3D1        host status =3D HS_BUSY (quite normal)
> DBC=3D11000000  SCRIPTS currently executing a MOVE FROM ? WHEN DATA_IN=20
> SBCL=3D29       Phase=3DDATA_IN, ATN asserted, SEL deasserted, BSY assert=
ed=20

At this step, the driver should have tried to send a INITIATOR DETECTED
ERROR Message to the device.

> Jul  8 20:21:27 localhost /kernel: sym0: unexpected disconnect

For some reason the device disconnect the BUS when this was not expected.

> Jul  8 20:21:27 localhost /kernel: (pass0:sym0:0:0:0): unrecovered SCSI p=
arity rror.

The driver told you that it decided to return a CAM_UNCOR_PARITY. Note
that if both the UNEXPECTED DISCONNECTION condition and the UNCORRECTED
PARITY error condition are present when the SCSI I/O finishes, the driver
elects to return the UNCORRECTED PARITY status to CAM.

Excepted for the SCSI parity error and the fact the driver and the device
didn't agree on recoverying from it 'on the fly', all seems quite normal
to me here. ;-)

Anyway, CAM should have retried the SCSI/IO that failed and, if your
system is still alive after the problem, the retry should have recovered
from the parity error.

  G=E9rard.