Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 20:08:06 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: novell ne2000 - no iomem

Steve Howe wrote:

> FBSD 2.2.8
> Cyrix 150 686
> 1 ide hdd, 1 floppy
> 1 Novell NE 2000

And probably serial and parallel ports, maybe even joystick and
soundblasters that all take I/O ports <g>.

> all my custom kernels and the Generic kernel bomb
> with various errors no matter how i try to configure
> my Novell NE2000 (no reserved memory).

I'm currently running 3.1-RELEASE with NE-2000 clown card at 0x300
and IRQ 2 (AKA 9). As already has been said IRQ 9 is sometimes used
by video cards. I believe to signal the blanking so you can write
DOS video games without the flickering.

Another system is also running 3.1-RELEASE with a Novell/Eagle
NE-2000 also at 0x300 IRQ 2.

B.t.w. the Novell NE-2000's don't use shared memory. The 0xd8000
adres is for the bootprom, if present.

> i've tried all sort of combinations to no avail,

> the card works fine in other (win) networked machines.
> any advice anyone?

You should be able to boot from the install diskettes, edit the
params to e.g. 0x300 and IRQ 2 (having set the jumpers on the
card to the corresponding positions, of course) and it should
work. If not then there is most likely some obscure port address
conflict.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.