Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 08:11:19 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New OPTIONS and make.conf knobs

--HKEL+t8MFpg/ASTE

On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:12:17PM -0400, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>:
>=20
> > My understanding is that one of the benefits of the new OPTIONS
> > framework is that it's supposed to take make.conf knobs into account
> > when displaying the options dialog.
>=20
> > I have WITHOUT_NLS defined in make.conf, but when I started an upgrade
> > today for x11-toolkits/libxfce4gui the dialog came up with all options
> > chosen (DOCS, NLS, STARTUP) even though I have the make.conf knob, and
> > the following in the existing options file:
>=20
> > _OPTIONS_READ=3Dlibxfce4gui-4.8.1
> > WITHOUT_NLS=3Dtrue
> > WITH_STARTUP=3Dtrue
> > WITH_GLADEUI=3Dtrue
> > WITHOUT_APIDOCS=3Dtrue
>=20
> > The fact that the STARTUP option is still enabled is fine, although I
> > suspect it's probably a side effect. The fact that the other 2 options
> > are showing as enabled is a bug. In the case of NLS, it's likely at
> > least 2 different bugs.
>=20
> > FWIW, this showed up using portmaster, which runs 'make
> > config-conditional' by default.
>=20
> > Doug
>=20
> I just an hour ago ran "portsnap fetch update" to see what new would show=
 in UPDATING file.
>=20
> I too have questions about how to use the new OPTIONS framework.
>=20
> Could you run as BATCH?

Yes you can, another possibility if you don't like the dialog UI but still =
want
the other possible interractions then just provide NO_DIALOG=3Dtrue in
/etc/make.conf
>=20
> NetBSD pkgsrc, ported to other mostly (quasi-)Unix OSes in addition to Ne=
tBSD, reads options in mk.conf, usually in directory /etc ,

You can do the same with the new OPTIONS framework:
OPTIONS_SET=3D VORBIS # enable vorbis options everywhere
OPTIONS_UNSET=3D NLS # disable NLS on all your ports
zsh_SET=3D PCRE # enable PCRE only for zsh
zsh_UNSET=3D DOCS # disable docs in the case of zsh
>=20
> There are no FreeBSD-ports-style dialogs with pkgsrc.
>=20
> I have used pkgsrc only with NetBSD.
>=20
> I would like to know how to get a log with a portmaster upgrade, such as
>=20
> portmaster -r png-
> (why the hyphen at the end?)
>=20
> without the log getting messed up by an OPTIONS dialog if I use tee or sc=
ript.

NO_DIALOG=3Dyes in make.conf and you can run portmaster without getting mes=
sge up
by an OPTIONS dialog

>=20
> If I specify in /etc/portmaster.conf, PM_LOG=3D/var/tmp/portmaster.log (f=
or instance), would every run of portmaster log everything I see racing by =
on the screen to this file?  If so, I might want to move/rename this file a=
fter each portmaster run so I can see which log goes with which ports.
>=20
> I've run "man portmaster" repeatedly each time looking for something I mi=
ght have previously missed.
>=20
> I also looked at the Porter's Handbook online.

regards,
Bapt

--HKEL+t8MFpg/ASTE

--HKEL+t8MFpg/ASTE--