Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:59:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      kuma <kuma@mathlab.sunysb.edu>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:

> kuma wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> > i have a question about booting FreeBSD.  I have two hard drives C and D,
> > i installed FreeBSD on D.  Everything went fine during installation.  But
> > when i tried to boot up D:, it will load up all the drivers and gave me a
> > message "panic:can not mount root".  I did set D: bootable tho
> > any help will be really appreciate?
> > Mark
> >
> >   |\_/| ..mew, mew
> >  ='O.O'=
> >   (m m)  -- kuma   http://www.mathlab.sunysb.edu/~kuma
> >   (M_M)~~
>
> Is your second drive the master on the secondary IDE channel by chance?
>
> If so, this has been asked and answered many times.
> To boot, use:
> 1:wd(2,a)/kernel
>
> at the Boot: prompt. Then one of the following two should work:
> 1. Have the following line in the kernel config file:
> config kernel root on wd2
>
> *or*
>
> 2. Coment out the wd1 line in the kernel config file, and change the wd2
> on its line to wd1 (don't touch anything else). Then replace all
> references to wd2 in /etc/fstab to refer to wd1.
>
> In both cases, after you build and install the new kernel, you should be
> able to boot with the default options.
>
> Nadav
I tried the first method you told me, but it does not work, the same
message still pop up after boot.
I tried to use the second method.  But i am a little confuse.  You mention
to change the wd2 on its line to wd1, you meant to change wd2 in wd2's
line to wd1 in the kernel configuration file? You also said replace all
references to wd2 in etc/fstab to refer to wd1, are you saying that
replace wd1 with wd2 or vise versa?

I am sorry, it just seem a little complicate to me.
Thanks for the patience.

Mark