Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>, Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>, Mitch Vincent <cygone@zoomnet.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loadbalance webservers

On 11 Aug 1999, Chris Shenton wrote:

> Yeah, I think worse is that the clients (IE, NS) cache the record
> forever, regardless of the TTL. If the server at the address dies you
> have to stop and restart the browser. Yech.

Yes, this is definately not crescent fresh (uh, not good).

That's why I prefer the fresh and cool spiffiness of Foundry Network's
ServerIron's...  point your DNS to a 'virtual server's' public IP
(one IP...  never changes...  no client restarts) which rotates among
multiple internal IPs (implementing your choice of load balancing
techniques and providing downed host detection, etc.).

A lot of clients use these, even more than those with f5's stuff, and they
tout their praises all the day long.  I'm also starting to suggest these
to friends...  Something one must always be cautious about.  ;)

If you're trying to be creative or cut costs, then there's room for
debate...  If you just want something that works well, and is pretty
darned fast to boot, try a ServerIron (I think there's even 'trial'
packages available)...  'Gosh, it sure is swell.' :)

						-Mike