Date:      Fri, 05 May 2006 11:49:19 -0400
From:      Kurt Miller <lists@intricatesoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk15 from update5 sources

On Friday 05 May 2006 5:24 am, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> Greg Lewis wrote:
> > One general question, since I haven't had time to compare them, why the
> > JIUL rather than the JRL?  Do others have comments on the differences
> > between the two?
>
> IANAL of course, but the two licenses mainly seem to differ in the
> intended use of the software. JRL-licensed software cannot be used for
> commercial purposes, while JIUL-licensed software does not have such a
> restriction. So, for example, if you are planning on using the software
> on amd64 servers for web hosting, you can do it with JIUL only. Both
> permit sharing the modified source code to other licensees of the
> respective license and both claim that you are not tainted after
> studying their source code.

IANAL also. I agree with your assessment. Initially I
was very excited about the JIUL license, but not so much
after reading the FAQ on it. FAQ numbers 16 and 17 are
not good. All the changes to get the 1.5 jdk running on
BSD are licenced under the SCSL and FAQ 16 says:

"You should not intermingle code that was obtained,
modified or created under the SCSL with code that is
subject to the JIUL."

That pretty much stops us from migrating the port
to the JIUL license. :(

> JRL:
> ----
> [...]
> "Research Use" means research, evaluation, or development for the
> purpose of advancing knowledge, teaching, learning, or customizing the
> Technology or Modifications for personal use. Research Use expressly
> excludes use or distribution for direct or indirect commercial
> (including strategic) gain or advantage.

When the JRL first came out I had concerns the definion of
"Research Use" didn't allow for personal use (unless you were
specifically doing research). It looks like the definion has
been broadened since the initial revision.

I think it covers personal use better now. The SCSL definion
says it more clearly, but I think the JRL could be safely
used in place of the SCSL.

I don't recall reading a prohibition on moving SCSL code to
the JRL anyplace. If we switch the 1.5 port to the JRL license,
we could follow the source updates released under the JRL and
bring the port up to the update 5 level.