Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:18:42 +0530
From:      <Muthu_T@Dell.com>
To:        <freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Partition Creation  Error

Hi,

 Today I tried to debug the following issue:=20

> So far I've indentified the following issues:

>- On a brand new blank disk, sysinstall has problems creating 3
partitions manually - EFI, swap, UFS. (Error >message: Write to da0
failed)

I had found that it is happening in write_ia64.disk.c
At line: 299

	line 280:		switch (c->type) {
		281:			case freebsd:
	line 299:			default:
		300:				return (EINVAL);   <--
Here it comes!

It means that the 'type' is not stored in 'struct chunk' variable when
we create a partition using 'Create'.

Further debugging results:

When we press 'C' in diskLabel editor, it executes the 'case 'C'
portion.
Then it calls Create_Chunk_DWIM(...) -> Insert_Chunk() -> it goes to the
following :

	/* If no leading unused space just occupy the old chunk */
	if (c2->offset =3D=3D ct->offset) {
		return 0;   <-- From here it returns!
	}

Looks like we are missing something here for ia64.
So we need to look at Insert_Chunk() in chunks.c.

Insert_Chunk() is not understanable by me! If you have any idea, please
let me know!

Thanks.
--T. Muthu Mohan