Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:29:03 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Passing descriptors over local domain sockets

Hello All,

I have a program that passes descriptors over local domain sockets.
It works fantastically on FreeBSD, but I've got to port the program over
to Linux (sigh). Unfortunately, the program doesn't work on Linux -- is
this because of problems with the Linux implementation of passing file
descriptors?

If anyone has I'd really appreciate any feedback on this!

I've also noticed that the linux 'struct sockaddr_in' doesn't include the
field 'sin_len' -- indeed, it appears that the (BSD) character fields
'sin_len' and 'sin_family'  have been merged into the linux 'u_short sin_
family' field. What is the proper way of handling this incompatibility?

Regards,

Mike Kennett
(mike@laurasia.com.au)