Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 01:49:34 CST
From:      "Sean Heber" <sheber@mwci.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sony SuperStation Tape Drive not working (atapi)

Hello again.

I can't figure out how to get my Sony SuperStation Internal IDE tape drive to
 work.  I've messed with the kernel configs and it seems like FreeBSD sees the
 drive.  It is acknowledged when the OS boots:

From my dmesg.today file:
wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <SuperStation-Int/1.06>, removable, accel, iordy

However, the various /dev entries that are often references in tape backup
 howtos don't seem to work at all.  I'm always getting "drive not ready" errors
 and such.

I've read that sometimes FreeBSD can have troubles with ATAPI, is that true?
 And if so, is there any way to make this drive work?

Running:
2 x Intel PII 400Mhz
FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE (SMP)

Thanks.