Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 13:28:05 +0200
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@sgi.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   resume-to-disk / incorrect default chosen by boot menu

The good news is that suspend-to-disk works just fine with my Latitude =
and 3.1R. There is something to improve, however:

When the system powers up after a suspend-to-disk, the FreeBSD boot menu =
prompts for the partition to load.  Since this is a poweron after =
suspend-to-disk, it should set the default to the suspend partition so =
that, if no key is pressed, it just resumes the saved image. That does =
not currently happen, however.  The default chosen by the boot menu is =
simply the last partition that was loaded previously.

I did a little debugging with DOS debug.exe, and it is apparent that the =
boot menu saves the default partition to use at some byte in the MBR.

I would like to change the code to not save the default partition =
explicitly, but instead use the active partition as the default. The =
reason behind this change is that the BIOS (hopefully) sets the active =
partition to the suspend partition when suspending to disk.

Could somebody please point me to the place where the source for the =
FreeBSD boot menu lives so I can change it?

Regards,
Georg.