Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 2002 08:39:00 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Alessandro de Manzano <adm@unixmania.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: old way of compiling kernel

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 06:29:16PM +0100, Alessandro de Manzano wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm using FreeBSD in production since 3 years but I've a little question
> I would ask since then:
>
> _exactly_ why on a freshly installed system (no cvsup, no build
> anything) to compile just the kernel I must use the "old way" (1) and
> can't use new way (2) ?
>
> I've been told I can use (2) only after at least one "make buildworld",
> not on a vergin system.
>
> I'm looking for a detailed explanation, technical deep :)
>
> Someone could, please, enlight me ? :-)

That's 'cos when you cvsup, there is a possibility of changes to the
system build's toolchain set. The "make buildworld + buildkernel" ensures
that the new toolchain is used instead of the existing installed one on
the system which may be out of date. The new toolchain is installed once
you run a "make installworld"

This means on a correctly installed system, the toolchain installed is
the one that was used to build the existing kernel. Therefore, you con
use the "config kernel, ..." method (which is a heckuva lot faster) to
build subsequent kernels.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>