Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 00:11:34 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
To:        William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new topic! IR support

>Does FreeBSD have any support for the IR hardware found on several
>(most?) modern laptop units?  I will admit publicly to not having
>RTFM'd for this answer and I apologize in advance for wasting the
>bandwidth if this turns out to be a simple RTFM issue...  :-)

	If you configure BIOS setup and kernel config file properly,
	you can use IR port port as half-duplex serial port,
	on most machines (NOTE: baudrate for the IR port must be <= 1Mbps).
	However, the IR port has very strange behavior if we see it as a
	serial port: if the both party transmit a character at the same
	time, the character will be lost due to the shared medium nature.
	(yes, the air)

	Using IR port as over-1Mbps device (such as 4Mbps) requires some
	hack.  In that case IR port must be used as HDLC device (varies
	by chipset, I believe).

itojun