Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:20:07 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@ptavv.es.net>
To:        "Dimitri T" <midiostri@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ghosting a Win98/FBSD hard disk

> From: "Dimitri T" <midiostri@hotmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:02:43 +0000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> hi,
>
> i have 8 PCs with identical hardware. They all have a hard disk of 20Gb.
> I've set up one of them as follows:
>   1 Win 98 primary partition (16 Gb)
>   1 Win 98 partition for storage purposes (1 Gb)
>   1 Freebsd partition (3 Gb)
>
> i thought that i'd spare a lot of time and trouble if i could ghost the hard
> disks. i have run Norton Ghost but it hasn't worked properly.
> When describing the original disk it marks the fbsd partition file system as
> 'unknown' and after ghosting, when i try to boot the fbsd partition on the
> destination disk, i get a "no ufs"..
>
> my Q:
> is it possible to ghost such a hard disk with Norton Ghost?
> if not, is there some other ghost program that can do the job?
>
> any pointer/info would be appreciated,

man dd?

I use it to ghost my entire system disk, except /scratch, to my backup
disk. In most cases, it works quite well and the resultant disk is
bootable (both Windows and FreeBSD).

Note that I have not made much effort to optimize this.

dd bs=32k if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/dev/ad2s1
dd bs=32k if=/dev/ad0s2 of=/dev/ad2s2

Windows is in the first slice (s1) and FreeBSD is in the second slice
(s2). The slices are the same size.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)