Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:37:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot managers.

Marc van Woerkom writes:
> > ie If in FreeBSD I'd like to be able to say - Boot Doze;shutdown -r
> > now. Then go off and have a coffee rather than having to wait around
> > at the beck and call of a machine...
> If you use GRUB you could modify the default line in menu.lst:
>
>     default 0

True. If you put the GRUB data on a DOS partition, that would allow
you to build simple scripts to do this from any OS that can mount a
DOS partition (which means pretty much any OS).

I've got a really ugly hack(*) for GRUB that makes the active
partition the default partition, which I use with 'makeactive' to
cause booting some OS's to make them become the default OS to boot. I
plan on making it non-ugly non-hack code at some point, when it might
find it's way back into GRUB proper, but if anyone wants it I can
provide it.

	<mike

*) It only works on partitions on the root disk, requires that the
order of GRUB entries match the order of partitions on the disk, and
means that anything chainloaded will become the default.