Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 21:46:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Mr M P Searle)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-packages seem to be out of date.

According to Mr M P Searle:

> > For the next release, it's going to be one of the 3 following choices
> > for me:
> >
> > 1. I take over the building of packages myself so that I have more control
> >    over when/where/how the packages are built.
> >
> > 2. This system of building packages is automated in a similar fashion
> >    to the current.freebsd.org server so that some FTP site can simply
> >    be mirrored by anyone wishing to build a CD (and as I'm not the only
> >    person building CDs, this would probably be the most general solution).
> >
> > 3. We stop distributing packages and distfiles on CD, doing just the
> >    ports collection and letting folks use the net to grab packages
> >    or distfiles.
>
> Not everyone can do that though - it's a LOT easier installing xemacs from
> a CD than over a modem... (it probably takes a while to compile on a slow
> machine as well, although that isn't so much of a problem.)
>

> > The current system is no longer workable, I'm no longer willing to do
> > things "the old way" - it's going to be one of these 3 options for 3.0
> > / 2.2.6.
> >
> > 					Jordan

		What about a comprimise on #3; that any
		binary/distfile in excess of 5MB be included
		on the CDROM?  Anything less than this can
		eaily be built by the port.

		Whenever I find something in ports that I
		want, I download the portfile and a simple
		``make install'' does it all.  In a few
		months the CDROM is passe... .

		gary

--