Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:38:28 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
To:        Hayden Katzenellenbogen <haydenk@nextlevelinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI disk boot fail RC #7

On 2001.08.21 14:36 Hayden Katzenellenbogen wrote:
> I just did and upgrade to the latest source of FreeBSD 4.4-RC1 #7
>
> After booting the machine it gets to waiting for devices to settle and
> well
> it does not get much further it says it can not mount the device and
> the
> prompts with a mountroot> prompt.
>
> I am now  using kernel.old (RC1 #6) this kernel works fine.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what the fix for this is.
>
> Also how does one copy kernel.old to kernel as it gives me an
> operation not
> permitted no matter what I try
>
> Thanks
> Hayden

I'm getting the same problem.  The new kernel fails to find any of my
IDE devices (it doesn't even load ata anything anymore).  It then drops
me to the mountroot> prompt.

For those of us with working GENERIC kernels, the work around is to
press <SPACEBAR> during the boot countdown, unload the bad kernel, and
then boot kernel.GENERIC.  You'll be able to copy the kernel.GENERIC
over kernel from a root prompt.

jmc