Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:50:26 -0700
From:      Michelle <tristan11@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        alhagiep@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: nat and ipfw

On Friday, October 24, 2003, at 02:35 AM, Alhagie Puye wrote:

> Do you have a natd.conf file? What does your rc.conf
> file look like? You have to turn on nat for the
> packets to be translated. Telling the firewall to send
> the packets to natd is one thing, what the happens to
> them after that is another. You ARE missing the setup
> for natd.
>
> Check this out:
>
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipfw.php
>
> Please read this link. I sent you something similar in
> my previous reply. And you are still asking the same
> question. It is very self-explanatory.

yes, I have read that link.  i have followed the instructions very
carefully.  i do have the setup for natd.  i have checked and
re-checked all my configurations.  i have been working with a security
engineer who set up our ipfw rules and he has also checked and
rechecked the natd and ipfw configuration and rules.  i have included
both my /etc/natd.conf files and /etc/rc.conf files below.   i have
also added option IPDIVERT to the kernel and rebuilt the kernel.

i'm sorry if my last e-mail was not clear, but this is not the same
question because i am now asking why i am able to get out from a client
on the subnet with ip 192.168.53.200 when i open up the ipfw rules to
allow everything, but am not able to get out when i specify in the ip
rules to allow all traffic in and out only for ip 192.168.53.200.  if
natd was not working properly, how could i get to the outside world
from the client using 192.168.53.200 since 192 addresses are not
routable outside of our network?  with the below rule i can get to
websites, ssh, and telnet  from a client on the subnet to the outside
world:

ipfw add 100 divert natd all from any to any via fxp0
ipfw add 200 allow from any to any

but when i flush the rules and add the following giving access
specifically to 192.168.53.200, i can no longer access websites, ssh,
or telnet to the outside world:

ipfw add 100 divert natd all from any to any via fxp0
ipfw add 200 allow all from 192.168.53.200 to any
ipfw add 300 allow all from any to 192.168.53.200

if the first set of ipfw rules is not a way to check that natd is
working, please let me know a better way.  if there is any other
information i need to provide, please let me know.

here are the natd.conf and rc.conf files:

/etc/natd.conf:
interface fxp0
use_sockets yes
same_ports yes

/etc/rc.conf file:
defaultrouter="64.x.x.x"
hostname="domain.com"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 64.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.248"
ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.53.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
inetd_enable="NO"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
nfs_client_enable="NO"
nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
sshd_program="/usr/local/sbin/sshd"
usbd_enable="YES"
start_vinum="YES"
portmap_enable="NO"
nfs_server_enable="NO"
nfs_client_enable="NO"
# syslog stuff
syslogd_enable="YES"
syslogd_flags="-ss"
# process accounting (lastcomm)
accounting_enable="YES"
# nuke /tmp/* on boot
clear_tmp_enable="YES"
# don't clobber /etc/motd with default message
update_motd="NO"

#NATD Stuff
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
gateway_enable="YES"

# firewall stuff
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_script="/etc/ipfw.conf"
firewall_logging="YES"
icmp_drop_redirect="YES"

#ntp stuff
xntpd_enable="YES"
xntpd_flags="-g -p /var/run/ntpd.pid"

#bind stuff
named_enable="YES"
named_flags="-u bind -g bind -t /etc/namedb/sandbox"

#DHCP stuff
ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"