Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 22:32:42 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Virus.. Old but Nasty

On 14 May 2000 18:29:07 -0700  Harry Putnam wrote:
 +------------------
 | Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net> writes:
 |
 | > Last I checked if you just change the root shell to bash it will do what
 | > you want.  FreeBSD should prompt for the root shell when you boot up in
 | > single user anyway, so you can just tell it /bin/sh or /bin/csh then.
 |
 | If you set bash as root shell, at least for me, it breaks if you have
 | to login from an emergency `boot -s' because some of the libraries or
 | something that bash uses are not on the "/" root partition.
 +------------------

Please, just let the root account alone.  It is far better to
install and use something like sudo(8) than it is to muck about with
the shell for the root user.   If you find that you are logging
in as root for extended sessions then you should re-think some of
your admin habits.

If you need an sh root login then just use the toor account that is
already there.  If you realy need bash then just start it once you login.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde
    303 773 9134