Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:05:36 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
Cc:        Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>, FreeBSD CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: DEVFS not creating slice devices for my SCSI disks

On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 08:27:29PM +0930, Matthew Thyer wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I labelled all three disks with the auto mode
> of disklabel.

'auto' creates the wrong type - it hasn't got the logic to identify a
SCSI-disk even if the disk comes barfing through it's code ;-)

> It's wierd that it used to work at CTM src-cur 3429 but not now.
>
> As I've just said to Julian, removing DEVFS and SLICE gives
> me a working system.
>
> Can I just edit these disklabels and put 'SCSI' in place of unknown
> without affecting the filesystems ?  (I hope so!).

I can say "Yes" without taking financial responsibility here?  "Yes."
I know I've changed that label a couple of times, but I don't remember
having done so on a running FS.  I know I would do it without a second
thought, at least.

Eivind.