Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:32:52 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        eng@donut.ugcs.caltech.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Difficulties

On Dec 4, 2004, at 6:58 PM, eng@donut.ugcs.caltech.edu wrote:

> I've been having trouble getting the installation of 5.3R on
> a Dell Precision 730 to work.
>
> I booted from the mini-install iso.  The kernel loaded... no
> console.  Quick check on google, I see that Marcel reports
> that there is no VGA console.
>
> I hook up a VT510 (emulating VT100) set 9600 N81... and
> nothing.

Make sure hw.uart.console has the same settings. By default the console
speed is 115.2K for 5.3. Just interrupt the autoboot and type "show"
after
the OK prompt.

Also, if the box supports the DIG64 HCDP table you need to switch EFI to
the serial console. You can check that by typing "hcdp" at the OK prompt
in the loader.

--
  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel@xcllnt.net