Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 2015 00:16:07 +1100
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, python@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Sevan Janiyan <venture37@geeklan.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Python's configure misunderstand freebsd

On 2/02/2015 10:36 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At FOSDEM I have been reported by Sevan (CCed) that the python's configure
> scripts thinks it is forbidden to have a lib named libpython2.so.X.Y on FreeBSD
> which is wrong.
>
> Here is a patch that fixes it on python2 unfortunatly as a result that means
> everything linked to libpython2.so.1 will need a bump. (same thing should be
> done for other pythons)
>
> I would prefer that you guys decides when how and so on to make that change
> happening.
>
> https://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/respect-the-libname-decided-by-upstream.diff
>
> I modified the configure script and not the configure.ac because the patch is
> not worth have to depend on autotools to regenerate the configure.
>
> That should also be upstreamed (if one of you could do it it would be great :))
>
> Best regards,
> Bapt

Thanks Bapt, the fewer exceptions (for FreeBSD) we have upstream the
better. Thank you Sevan for the reporting.

Bapt, can you create a bugzilla issue with your patch attached and
assigned to python@ please. This is one we want a good audit log on.

I'm happy to take care of upstreaming if you can take care of the .ac
diff :)

--
Koobs