Date:      Sun, 2 Jan 2000 23:15:52 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: drive does not spinup using sym driver under FreeBSD-alpha

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 10:41:21PM +0100, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> > I'm using the sym driver under FreeBSD alpha and I have two drives that
> > are configured to need a start command.
> >
> > The drives in question are da6 and either da2 or da3.
> > Usually I would think it's a problem in a general layer but the drive on the
> > ahc0 apapter starts just fine.
> >
> > Some interesting side point - SRM can't boot from from the sym1
> > controller even if it's alone in the host but ARC can.
>
> I can't help you here, since I haven't ever played with alpha machines.

For Alpha's to be able to boot from an adapter it must be known by the
SRM code. This means an ncr810(a) or (some SRM versions only)
ncr875 chips. Or a QLogic 10[24]0 based card.

ncr810 cards are known as KZPAA and Qlogic is known as KZPBA in DEC speak.

--
Wilko Bulte 		Arnhem, The Netherlands	  - The FreeBSD Project
    			WWW : http://www.tcja.nl  http://www.freebsd.org