Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:52:43 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, config@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications

> > In message <25086.853962835@time.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> > : However, we still suffer from a bad case of "tools gap", where there
> > : is really no reasonable framework for allowing the UI people to easily
> > : practice their craft.  Since we can't count on an X server being
> > : present (either due to configuration hassles, non-support for a given
> > : card or other hardware issues),
> >
> > The SVGA or VGA drivers will run on almost all hardware.  Maybe not
> > optimally, or at 1600x1200, but the X server can be made to run in
> > that small a footprint.
>
> "on almost all hardware".  It won't work on my Firewall or on my mailserver.
> Neither have a monitor that can handle anything but text or CGA (Maybe).

I'm sorry to drop in late, but I was gone last week.

Aren't we talking about offering a nice sysinstall program for the
*not* so advanced users. Wouldn't it be so that people that want to
install FreeBSD on machines with obscure monochrome adapters or
serial consoles already know enough about installing/configuring
FreeBSD that they don't care about such a config utility.
They could propably do with a very much trimmed down version
of the install program that would just get the system installed.

Using the cli tools described earlier one could build such an
installprogram rather easily (or am I being overly naief here??
(Jordan?)) or perhaps a trimmed down version of the current
sysinstall with minimal functionality, which would only have to
be maintaned, not developed.

If the above is a reasonable assumption, we would also not have to
care about the CUI interface anymore and finally get this thing
going.

Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl