Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:31:04 -0500
From:      "Steven Ames" <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        "Ahsan Ali" <ahsan@khi.comsats.net.pk>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: antivirus, webmail and virtual domain hosting on a mail server

Maildir is a tad different. It was built to be NFS safe. Instead of storing
all messages in one file, each message gets its own file... you end up with
a couple of subdirectories (current, new and saved (if memory serves)),
and then each message gets its own file. This drastically reduces file
locking requirements as incoming messages go to their own file and don't
interfere with the files being read by IMAP/POP, etc... And since NFS
file locking has always been a bit picky, this is a Good Thing (tm).

-Steve