Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2018 23:16:06 +0300
From:      Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot errors since upgrading to 12-current

> On 14 Aug 2018, at 22:37, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> context: amd64, FreeBSD 12.0-ALPHA1 #0 r337682, ZFS. The system is =
*not* root-on-zfs. It boots to an SSD. The three disks indicated below =
are spinning rust.
>=20
> 	NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> 	storage     ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	  raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
> 	    ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0
>=20
> This machine was running 11.2 up until about a month ago.
>=20
> Recently I've seen this flash up on the screen before getting to the =
beastie screen:
>=20
> BIOS drive C: is disk0
> BIOS drive D: is disk1
> BIOS drive E: is disk2
> BIOS drive F: is disk3
> BIOS drive G: is disk4
> BIOS drive H: is disk5
> BIOS drive I: is disk6
> BIOS drive J: is disk7
>=20
> [the above is normal and has always has been seen on every boot]
>=20
> read 1 from 0 to 0xcbdb1330, error: 0x31
> read 1 from 0 to 0xcbdb1330, error: 0x31
> read 1 from 0 to 0xcbdb1330, error: 0x31
> read 1 from 0 to 0xcbdb1330, error: 0x31
> read 1 from 0 to 0xcbdb1330, error: 0x31
> read 1 from 0 to 0xcbdb1330, error: 0x31
> read 1 from 0 to 0xcbdb1330, error: 0x31
> read 1 from 0 to 0xcbdb1330, error: 0x31
>=20
> the above has been happening since upgrading to -current a month ago
>=20
> ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
> ZFS: can't read MOS of pool storage
>=20
> the above is alarming and has been happening for the past couple of =
days, since upgrading to r337682 on the 12th August.
>=20
> The beastie screen then loads and it boots normally.
>=20
> Should I be concerned? Is the output indicative of a problem?
>=20

Not immediately and yes. In BIOS loader, we do all disk IO with INT13 =
and the error 0x31 is often hinting about missing media or some other =
controller related error. Could you paste the output from loader lsdev =
-v output?

The drive list appears as an result of probing the disks in biosdisk.c. =
The read errors are from attempt to read 1 sector from sector 0 (that =
is, to read the partition table from the disk). Why this does end with =
error, would be interesting to know, unfortunately that error does not =
tell us which disk was probed.

Since you are getting errors from data pool =E2=80=98storage=E2=80=99, =
it does not affect the boot. Why the pool storage is unreadable - it =
likely has to do about the errors above, but can not tell for sure based =
on the data presented here=E2=80=A6.=20

rgds,
toomas