Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 1996 23:21:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Caching

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Steve Passe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I said:
> >I would NOT get a dual p6 with the orion chipset, which most still use.
> >does anyone know whats available with the newer natoma?
>
> browsing another list I just saw that Tyan have 2 PPro/natoma boards available:
>
> http://www.tyan.com/s1662.htm	(baby AT)
> http://www.tyan.com/s1668.htm	(ATX)
>
> The ATX would be my choice if all others things were equal.

According to what I read from Michael's posting (between yours and
Michael's, it's been real helpful) then I ought to consider maybe a slower
PPro, rather than a faster Pentium, on the theory that I could upgrade.
This sounds reasonable.  The reason I wanted to go into cache, I consider
that in an smp environment, contention for the memory bus might be
somewhat more strained, which might mean that cache was much more
important.

I was indeed already looking at the Tyan product, both because of the
chipset, and because I already have a Tomcat in my other machine.  OK, I'm
happy, time to find out who's got the best prices, thanks for the assist.

BTW, I have using the names (Orion, Natoma, whatever), I like the numbers.
Tyan is asking folks about getting the last of their 430 based boards,
because they say Intel isn't going to make the 430 series anymore.  I
haven't seen anything real using the 450K/G X yet, so I guess everthing is
going to be 440.  If Tyan is to be believed, that is.

> --
> Steve Passe	| powered by
> smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |