Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 02:37:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        walter@fortean.com (Bruce M. Walter)
Cc:        billf@chc-chimes.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about shutdown

> 1) It requires a kernel patch to perform "safe" shutdowns...  This is
>    because of the way other drivers use the at_shutdown interface and
>    these patches should first be part of the system.  Even if nothing
>    ever comes of my code, the capacity still exists for a program to
>    assume it can poweroff when it really can't.

If I remember correctly, this patch was to specify that your driver
got called last.

I think the more correct way to do this would be to call all of the
shutdowns once, with (arg & ~RB_POWEROFF), then again with RB_POWEROFF
only (presuming arg & RB_POWEROFF == RB_POWEROFF).

Alternately, there needs to be an "at_powerdown()", seperate from the
"at_shutdown()".  I have no idea how you would, without a timer,
resolve the UPS vs. APM powerdown issues... 8-(.  My gut feeling is
that it's important to power the UPS down because of ATX having a
slow drain to support the soft poweron power supply (ATX have two
supplies in one case).  On the other hand, "suspend to disk" needs
the APM called, which means suspending the UPS daemon...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.