Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 15:59:03 +0800
From:      Wong Horn Lim <hlwong@asiapac.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installation problem over ftp - FreeBSD 3.1 Release

guys,

  I am having problem to install FreeBSD 3.1 Release over the ftp.
I have a old Pentium 75 PC, 24MB Ram, 1.2G of HD, 3Com 3c509 NIC card,
 that I use for testing,  and I have using the this machine to install
FreeBSD 2.1.x, 2.2.x with no problem using FTP  and from FreeBSD CD-ROM,
installing Red-Hat Linux 5.2 also without any problem.

 I have try to install FreeBSD 3.1 Release since last week
but without success, all installation process going ok
until it reach the point that downloading the files
from the FreeBSD site, it just hang there after downloading
about 120kb of files, and look at the debug output,
it stop while downloading /bin/bin.aa (I can see
bin/cat, bin/chio, downloded, but hang at the point downloading bin/chmod)

 I have try download the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp from various
FreeBSD mirror site, I have try install over ftp using different freebsd
mirror
site, and I even mirror the entire 3.1-RELEASE to my another
unix server and then try in install over ftp through my local network,
using local server, it all produce the same result, it just hang after
downloading
/bin/bin.aa (hang at the point downloading /bin/chmod)

  Anyone out there experience the same problem ? I do not have
3.1 Release CD, and we have a 128k lease line connection.

Horn Wong