Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2000 20:03:33 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running a cleaning tape with chio (not!)

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 12:04:00AM -0700, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 21:28:12 +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:

> > > Did you try to do I/O to the drive while the cleaning tape was in?  The
> >
> > No, no process did anything on /dev/(n)rsa0, the only one that was
> > talking to it was the chio.
>
> Hmm, I guess I'm used to changers where the tape mechanism and the changer
> mechanism are relatively separate.  In most cases the changer has little
> idea about what type of tape it put in the drive.  The only thing it might
> know is an id from a barcode label.
>
> Your changer is evidently different, as the error below suggests -- it
> indeed came from the changer LUN on the device.

Yep, and this is probably also whats causing the problem...

> >[syslog snipped]
> >From the logs above, it looks like you tried to move the tape into the
> drive twice.

 Except of course that i didn't!

> Note that the first and second move medium commands are identical -- i.e.
> same source and destination.

 Exactly.  I _suspect_ what happens (tho i won't be able to check before
next week now) is the drive ejecting the tape causing the move medium to
return with a unit attention, or maybe some other kind of returncode that
the driver then treats as a temporary failure so it simply retries the
command.

> > > My guess is that your problem is that your autoloader is configured in
> > > autoloader mode instead of changer mode or something.
> > >
> >  Hmm i didn't have the sucker's manual handy to check this, so
> > at the moment i can only say that chio does work on it with
> > regular tapes...
>
> Ahh.  So you probably have it in changer mode.

 Yep i would guess so too. :)

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>