Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 21:12:16 +0800
From:      "edwin chan" <slack@suntop-cn.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   when mail full  /tmp partition, system cracked

yesterday, one of our staff attack down by "sircam" virus(worm), he's
computer send many many mail to all of us. So, many evil mails full the file
system partition(/var).

we got our mailserver died. just can ping the box, but telnet ssh web mysql
etc all died, not one can login or do anything for the box. finally, we
reboot box.

we found the messages in log:

Sep  5 21:00:33 www /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
Sep  5 21:00:33 www /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

we know logs/mails/mysql-data stored in /var partition,  which process crash
the box ? or just full /var can crash my box ?

edwin  chen