Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 23:14:43 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramidi@otenet.gr>
To:        "Fernando P . Schapachnik" <fschapachnik@vianetworks.com.ar>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Exchange substitute

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 04:30:13PM -0300, Fernando P . Schapachnik wrote:
> En un mensaje anterior, Terry Lambert escribio:
> > > 	Sorry if these are not the appropiate fora.
> > >
> > > 	I need to find a reliable, unix-based MS Exchange
> > > substitute. I mean, not only POP/SMTP/IMAP which are easy, but
> > > embeded calendar, agenda, shared address book, etc.
> > >
> > > 	Any ideas? TIA!
> >
> > Sendmail + Cyrus IMAP from ports will do the job.
> >
> > Are you using any esorteric features of Excahnge that we
> > should know about?  You may also need to add OpenLDAP 2.0
> > or other software, if you are.
>
> Calendar which is the only feature that doesn't seem to be easy to
> find on Open Source environments.

Which uses standard MIME attachments to transfer calendar related information
between your Outlook clients.  Shared folders, shared calendars, shared
contact lists, etc., are implemented in Outlook and not in Exchange.

Using one qmail and one sendmail server, I tested 'sharing' a calendar from
an Outlook client, and looked at the resulting mail messages with Mutt.  The
Outlook clients will send calendar information to each other using messages
that contain a single MIME attachment of MIME-type application/ms-tnef.

As long as your SMTP Server does not mess with the message in any way, the
sharing works like a charm.

Of course, working with binary-only attachments like those having a MIME-type
of application/ms-tnef, can be a real pain when you prefer reading your email
with Mutt.  But this is another story...

--giorgos