Date:      9 Oct 2001 22:03:14 -0700
From:      sawilson@sawilson.com
To:        paul@it.ca
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amr driver and disk failure notification

I'm sure it's possible. You'd want some sort of custom electronics between the serial port and the speaker pins. You could shoot for just a resistor type setup that would make sure the proper voltage is supplied, but you'd be better off setting up a relay that would get tripped by the voltage sent to the speaker, then supply the proper voltage via a battery to the selected pins on the serial port. Hacking the serial port driver wouldn't be that hard. There is plenty of example code out there. There is probably something else in place. I'd bug Mike Smith first. He does the raid stuff for the core group. I think his email address is msmith@freebsd.org. Good luck. :)