Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2024 16:59:49 -0800
From:      Rick Macklem <rick.macklem@gmail.com>
To:        mjg@freebsd.org, Konstantin Belousov <kib@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RFC: should a va_bytes option be added to vn_getsize_locked()?

Hi,

I would like to compare va_size to va_bytes in vn_generic_copy_file_range(),
as a heuristic to check for a sparse file (only works for non-compressed
file systems).

The call to VOP_GETATTR(invp, ..) was replaced by vn_getsize_locked()
in vn_generic_copy_file_range().

To get va_bytes I can either modify the code to again use VOP_GETATTR()
or I could add an additional return argument to vn_getsize_locked().
Since vn_getsize_locked() is descibed as a first step towards not using
VOP_GETATTR() it sounds like adding an agument to vn_getsize_locked()
is not the preferred alternative, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any comments, rick