Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2014 18:09:43 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poor fusefs documentation

On 04/02/2014 17:32, Allan Jude wrote:
> On 2014-02-04 11:28, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
>> On 04/02/2014 15:25, CeDeROM wrote:
>>> Hello :-)
>>>
>>> I am trying to use various fusefs mounters but the documentation for
>>> this seems to be inconsistent and incomplete or missing at all in
>>> Handbook. There is only mount_fusefs utility that refers to
>>> fuse_daemon that does not exist. It is impossible to mount anything at
>>> first contact with fusefs in FreeBSD, please update the documentation
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Best regards :-)
>>> Tomek
>>>
>>   I asked why mount_ntfs had suddenly disappeared on freebsd-questions
>> - started a bit of a thread.
>>
>> mount -t ntfs doesn't work, and neither does its supposed replacement
>> mount -t ntfs-3g.
>>
>> So I'm not sure if this counts as a documentation problem, or an issue
>> that needs fixing in the release with an intermediate note in the
>> manual explaining work-arounds. I'm not very familiar with fuse, but I
>> should still have been able to figure this out and couldn't, and I had
>> a job to do at the time.
>>
>> Regards, Frank.

> ntfs-3g must be installed from ports first
>
> The mount_ntfs in older versions of FreeBSD was read-only and very
> dated. Fuse it self does not mount anything, it just provides a
> framework to write file system drivers with. A fuse file system will
> always require the support of an external program, like ntfs-3g or cryptofs
>
> Documentation for those comes with the port, not the base system

The implication of "ntfs-3g must be installed from the ports first" is
that once built and installed, mount_ntfs will work. Or as I'd seen in
earlier documentation, "mount -t ntfs-3g ..." would now work. If that's
the way it's supposed to work, it doesn't! I did publish the runes on
freebsd-questions when I'd figured them out.

When you say mount_ntfs was in older versions, technically correct but
with due respect to your accuracy, still not perticularly helpful. It
turned up in 1999 with 3.4, I believe, and disappeared without warning
(to users) a couple of weeks ago. The first I knew of it was when I
needed to mount an external USB drive in a hurry, and got "Command not
found". Okay.

mount -t ntfs /dev/da0 /mnt/ntfs
mount: /dev/da0: Operation not supported by device

Build and install fuse stuff, and try again with ntfs-3g as mount's FS
and the same unhelpful message appears. Not the best example of
user-friendly design I've ever seen (although IBM's "An error occurred
during the physical insertion stage" still beats it on style).

The current handbook still says (vaguely) that NTFS is available (20.1).
Putting something in 4.7.2 that's useful in this respect (i.e. -t
options in mount can be one of.... and if you want to mount NTFS, he's
how) would be a good start.

I suspect mount_fusefs has something to do with the new solution, but to
quote its current man page:

DESCRIPTION
      Basic usage is to start a fuse daemon on the given special file.  In
      practice, the daemon is assigned a special file automatically,
which can
      then be indentified via fstat(1).  That special file can then be
mounted
      by mount_fusefs.

The second paragraph is even more opaque, and it goes down-hill from there.

This is probably a great improvement (the old NTFS driver was ropey,
although R/O was fine for me). But the documentation and implementation
isn't great for anyone trying to use it.

I'd be inclined to tackle this, but I don't know FUSE and I've spent
enough time trying to figure it out to realise that it's best left to
the gnostics.

Regards, Frank.