Date:      Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:35:46 -0600
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Igor Robul <igorr@speechpro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
Subject:   Re: Quality of FreeBSD

Igor Robul wrote:

> Karl Denninger wrote:
>
>> Ok, Robert, but then here's the question....
>>
>> How come the ATA code which was very stable in 4.x was screwed with in a
>> production release, breaking it, with no path backwards to the working
>> code?
>>

> I had not ANY problems with ATA on several mothersboards, both SMP and
> uniproc.

The VIA SATA onboard controller on my server works (and has worked)
flawlessly.  I have two identical 80G Maxtor SATA drives connected to it
and have had absolutely no problems and excellent performance.  Even my
Dell Inspirion 5100--with a few hiccups--has made great progress and is
mostly functional.

jmc