Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:38:09 -0400
From:      Jason Morgan <jwm-freebsd-xll@sentinelchicken.net>
To:        Fred Cox <sailorfred@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: X troubles (possibly radeon related)

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 01:46:23AM -0700, Fred Cox wrote:
> All right, let's start over, knowing that since this
> is all going through the mailing list, the archives
> will save me if Yahoo is snippy.
>
> Currently, I am in the position of not being able to
> upgrade my ports, due to the machine being unusable in
> short order if I start Xorg 6.9.0.
>
> I don't feel comfortable in this position, since I am
> not able to easily incorporate security fixes or
> feature upgrades for any ports.
>
> I don't think I'm the only person in this situation,
> from what I've found searching the web.
>
> It's my understanding that the drivers are part of the
> kernel.  The output of a make buildkernel seems to
> confirm that understanding.
>
> One of my attempts to figure out what was killing my
> system was to not upgrade the kernel from FreeBSD 6.0
> release, but to upgrade the ports.  That, and every
> other setup I tried that involved upgrading Xorg,
> killed my system.
>
> Perhaps my ignorance of exactly how Xorg works is
> confusing me, but this seems to point to Xorg 6.9.0's
> interaction with the radeon driver, not the radeon
> driver, which I don't believe I upgraded.
>
> If the 6.8.2 code can work with the FreeBSD 6.0
> release  radeon driver for the X300 chipset, but 6.9.0
> doesn't, it seems that a little investigation can
> point to a quick solution.  However, the people who
> have the knowledge will need to work with the people
> who have the hardware and the willingness to help
> investigate.
>
> If this is faulty logic, please point out where it's
> wrong, so that more people can understand the system.
>
> Fred

[cut the rest of the conversation]

So, I take it I'm out of luck until the driver is fixed? Even though I'm
running an Xpress 200M? Is that actually a X300 in disguise? Is the only
work-around to go back to 6.8.2?

I don't have a lot of time, but I can help troubleshoot any patches if
that will help.

~Jason