Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 21:09:16 +0900
From:      Shen Jing <sj@china.pages.com.cn>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A newbie's question

Hello :

  I am new comer of FreeBSD , I am now trying to install FreeBSD onto my
PC.

  My pc is a 4x86 with 12M RAM and a trident 90001 card , a 517M hard
disk ,
also a ethernet card installed .

  I boot up from a floopy disk and install from CD .

  the following is the install procedure:

  1. Use Ms-dos's fdisk to setup a hard disk partrition  and install DOS
and
     Windows95 on it .
  2. Boot up with windows95 and setup network address, test it , all
works
fine.

  3. boot from freebsd's boot disk
  4. create  a freebsd partrition using the disk space left by dos setup
(250M)
  5. install FreeBSD with novice installer option and choose a X user
installation.

  6. I choose to install a BootManager in order to be able to change my
operation environment easily

  7. After all files copyed to hard disk and config as the prompt shows
     I config a static IP address to the system .
  8. restart  the system , PROBLEM come up!

the problems is :

  First :
     at the bootmanager's prompt F? , I just can choose F2 to boot up
  with FreeBSD , it choose F1 to boot Dos , the system hangs .

   Second :

     when the freebsd boot up , after it  config the ed1 ( ethernet card
)
with ifconfig , it shows  :

    ed1: device time out

    and after I login , I test the internet connection using ping ,

    if I ping 127.0.0.1 and  202.96.98.26 (my card's ip address) , it
shows
the connection is fine , but if ping some host on our LAN , it always
shows:

    the host is down

    why ?

  The Third problem is :

     when I login and set /usr/X11R6/bin into my path ,
  I use startx to start X windows , it always tell me can not connect to
server ,and ask me to use (--) to select a server , I do config the
Xfree86 at
the setup procedure and at that time the system show the server start up
successfully , why ?

   Thank you very much ! and long for your help.

  Jing Shen

  Mail to: sj@china.pages.com.cn