Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 1995 10:16:14 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        julian@TFS.COM
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/vn vn.c

>>   Please test the slice/label features:
>>   cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV svn0
>>   cd /var/tmp; dd if=/dev/zero of=vnfile bs=8192 count=1024
>>   vnconfig -c /dev/rvn0 /var/tmp/vnfile
>>   fdisk /dev/rvn0  # invent a geometry, create one BSD partition
>>   disklabel -r -w vn0 floppy  # a convenient (bogus) label
>>   disklabel -e vn0  # edit label to match device
>>   newfs /dev/rvn0a
>>   mount /dev/vn0a /mnt

>This is a good example of it's use..
>it'd be nice if it were stuck in the FAQ or somewhere....

A good example of how to use vn or slices? :-)  I'm going to copy and
modify it for real disk devices.  I forgot to say:

    o Use option TEST_LABELLING to enable slices and labels in vn.
    o Expect a lot of kernel printfs for botched and old labels.
    o You can put BSD partitions on slices vn0s[1-4].  MAKEDEV has
      to be changed a little to create [r]vn0s[2-4][a-h].  It
      doesn't create all the partitions by default because there
      would be too many.

Bruce