Date:      Sat, 06 Mar 1999 15:18:36 -0500
From:      "Mark S. Reichman" <mark@borg.com>
To:        "emmanuel.m.naval.1" <shwim@purdue.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IOmega Parallel Port Zip Drive and FreeBSD...

Well I am using 3.1-Stable.  I did this.
If these controllers and devices are in your
kernel config, then see if they are in the LINT
file to make sure the kernel supports them.
If they are supported by LINT, add them to your own kernel config file.
In 3.1-Stable they are part of the Generic kernel by default.
All you have to do in 3.1-STABLE is remove the # in front
of the vpo0, recompile, install, and reboot the kernel.

/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC or LINT

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port? net irq 7
controller      ppbus0
device          nlpt0   at ppbus?
device          plip0   at ppbus?
device          ppi0    at ppbus?
#controller     vpo0    at ppbus?

Once you reboot you have to mount it.  You can do..

mark@slugo:/dos:>mount -t msdos /dev/da0s4 /dos/zip

If this doesnt work, make sure you have the /dev/da?? devices
in your /dev dir..

$ cd /dev
$ ./MAKEDEV da0

Then try to mount again..

"emmanuel.m.naval.1" wrote:

> I would like to know if there is a FAQ, HOW-TO, or some type of
> Documentation which explains how to go about configuring FreeBSD
> (currently using 3.1-RELEASE) to work with the IOmega Paraller Port Zip
> Drive.  I have seen and heard that you need to enable ppbus or something
> like that, but I would like to get some information that explains exactly
> what I need to do and why.  Any input on this subject will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Manny
> shwim@purdue.edu

                    \|/
                   (@ @)
  |   Mark S. Reichman        FreeBSD    |
  |    mark@borg.com        Got source?  |
  |      May the source be with you!     |