Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2012 12:06:58 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogt.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.x -- New Install -- serious partition misalignment

Hi,

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 16:18:57 -0800
"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> If possibility (c) applies, then I would also like to know if anybody
> has any suggestions for how I might be able to get this problem
> escalated so that (hopefully) it gets dealt with before 9.1-RELEASE
> is finalized.

162 / 4 is 40.5. So, disk access on modern disks will be slower but not
catastrophic.

What irritates me more in this context is the fact that I have two card
disks which are supposed to be identical. They come from the same
factory but only one carries a label saying it has 4k sectors.

I still would like to have at least two partitioning schemata available
without much user interaction. At least one should allow the user to
have /, /tmp, /var, /usr and /home in separated partitions. Call it the
classic partitioning schema and have another one called modern.

Erich