Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:37:12 +0200
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        "Kristof Peeters" <kristof.peeters@iname.com>, <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't install kernel...

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Kristof Peeters wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I recently bought the FreeBSD 3.2 distribution... complete with book and all
> 4 CD-roms from Walnut Creek.
> About the last 7 hours I tried to install this excellent operating system. I
> previously installed a 3.0 distribution on an different computer and now I
> had to start all over...
>
> The computer is a Pentium 133 with 16 Mb - 2 Hard Disks (1.2 Gb and 850 Mb)
> No problem at all, i guess.
> So I tried to dual boot it, together with Windows 98. Since it was
> preinstalled, I kept Windows 98 on my C-drive and wanted to install FreeBSD
> on the D-drive.

[cut out some 20 lines]

> So, then the installation stopped and I had to reboot...
> Surprisingly, I've selected to install the bootmanager that was on the disk.
> Windows 98 started to boot... I didn't even had a chance to select any OS.
>
> What went wrong, and what can I do about it?

Most PC's boot the first hard disk :-) So you will have to put the FBSD boot
manager on the first drive.
There is a utility for this in the tools directory on your CD, in directory
tools: bootinst.exe. Run it from DOS.
You will then probably see when you reboot:

F1 DOS
F5 Drive 1

Hit F5 and you get the boot manager on the second drive, which should have the
FreeBSD entry.

Succes!

 -- Marc Schneiders
marc@oldserver.demon.nl