Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 08:10:00 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        jkoshy@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@california.sandia.gov>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/9358

--==_Exmh_111942160P

If memory serves me right, Joseph Koshy wrote:
> In message <19990108182648.A7492@ca.sandia.gov>, "Bruce A. Mah" writes:
>
> >So what I really meant in that message to you was that I should never
> >have made (and submitted) that port at all.  My apologies if this was
> >not clear...
>
> Well I think I too should have checked and ask for clarification
> before doing the commit.

Well, I guess next time we'll both pay more attention.  :-)

> Since stuff under src/contrib/ doesn't get updated very frequently,
> keeping the port alive may still be useful if it allows tracking
> of fast changing sources.
>
> How fast is tcpslice (and the rest of the tcpdump family) changing?

Not very quickly, actually.  The only (separate) release of tcpslice was on 23
January 1997 (it used to be bundled with tcpdump).  As for tcpdump, it was
last modified on 25 July 1998, with the last release taking place on 30
November 1996 (about half a dozen beta versions between those two, however).

Kris Kennaway suggested that that it'd be a good idea to update what's in
/usr/src, which I'll look into if no one else gets around to this first.  From
a very cursory inspection, there are no major changes in functionality.

For some reason, it just didn't occur to me that tcpslice would be in the base
distribution, since not a whole lot of people (IMHO) have use for its
functionality.

Thanks!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_111942160P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNpoiV6jOOi0j7CY9AQEcaQP/TtxYz/EqUsw/mej9P/Hny9mE/yLVGmfG
xtesg6iZycSgdE+n6tERL87Q/NCymCAzBvr2chskQj6LwsUdyWFQOgli1SJf3xqg
xM47Hb0DKKc0J74XTgvdAfaDsxr62CUzLUYEagJlc1GGwjU5zEBT7klUaz6Ym6jo
C4gf71O+eyk=
=nCvL
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_111942160P--