Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:39:56 -0400
From:      "C. A. Daelhousen" <cd9@buffalo.edu>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thank you all

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:04:25PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Aug 22), Ross Lippert said:
> > Secondly, when I boot just to the console, or run X I just get this
> > tiny screen about half the dimensions of the physical screen bordered
> > by black. It seems that this is something people have had happen on
> > toshiba's.  Anyhow I guess my question is
>
> Most laptops do this, actually, since a standard VGA console is 640x400
> and no laptops are that resolution anymore :).  There's probably a
> hotkey to toggle "scale/noscale".  On Sony and Dell laptops, it's
> <Fn>+F.  The correct fix for X is to specify your laptop's native
> resolution in your XF86Config file.

If you have syscons and "options SC_PIXEL_MODE" configured, then you can
use vidcontrol to get an 800x600 console.

$ man vidcontrol
$ /usr/sbin/vidcontrol -g 100x37 -m on VESA_800x600

You can stick the flags for that in /etc/rc.conf as the value of
allscreens_flags, and it'll automagically switch to that mode at bootup.
Don't do that without testing the mode first, of course.

--
..: Chad Daelhousen == cd9@buffalo.edu :.........: sig v3.1 :...
: Programming for 10 +/- 2 years (50 +/- 10% of a lifetime)    :